Saturday, September 1, 2012

9-1-12

Didn't work out today, or yesterday. Fridays and Saturdays are designated off days. Mental health and all that. They usually involve having a shower, a cup of coffee, and watching cartoons. And cooking.

Making food is one of my few forms of real meditation. I grill, bake, boil whatever I think sounds good. Since moving into my own place, it's been me making the left overs. Or what came before the left overs. The right unders? What the hell do you call it, anyway? They're left over form the initial meal. Theres no good word for that. Point is, I make all the food unless I eat out, which I try not to do. Probably not hard enough. Three to four times a week is kind of a low estimate I think, it's probably more. Normally lunch or dinner is when I eat out. Last night it was Mexican (another weakness). Favorite restaurant, with some friends I hadn't seen in a while. It was a good occasion, even had some tequila to toast my pregnant friend (she did not have the tequila). Not normally my sort of liquor, I prefer rum or Maker's Mark. Had a huge steak burrito with a generous covering of queso. Hardly healthy, but damned satisfying. Continued my soda-less existence. It's a lot easier than I thought it would be.

Breakfast i dont normally eat out. When i do, it's Starbucks or Sheetz. Usually pretty high in sodium, i know, although Starbucks chicken sausage wrap is okay. Only good places to get coffee round these parts since my favorite grill closed. Morning is normally a Shakeology shake, with frozen fruit, sometimes caramel/peanut butter or whatever. I slurp that down around 8:30, and I stay full til lunch. Lately I've been eating little oat and honey bars, they're okay.

Lunch is almost always leftovers from the rightunders the night before. Yesterday (Friday) was meatloaf (was from the grocery store, I haven't made one myself yet) and brown rice. I love rice.

Today's lunch I can take a little more credit for. Grilled tuna steaks, baked okra, and sweet potato fries. Came out a little dry, but I'm learning. Had a good teriyaki sauce to go with it. Forget the brand, I'll post it later.


I can always really lose my self when I cook. Sometimes i put on a podcast or music to listen to. I'm really digging the Sklar brothers' podcast (Sklarbro Country) and Stuuf You Should Know (from Howstuffworks.com I believe). I try to find recipes that are sort of different, but not a whole lot of brain to it. I love to eat new things, I like to think of myself as an adventurous eater. I think Andrew Zimmern has my dream job. Eat weird stuff, travel the world, get to know people and customs, and tell the camera with a straight face when something tastes like shit. He's an objective reporter is what I'm saying, and I really respect that. And I wanna eat weird shit. 

As evidenced by my love of Mexican, I like to put cumin in almost everything. Cumin, garlic, onions, and a healthy smattering of black pepper. Red I could take or leave, and I'm kind of burned out on bell peppers. They're rather prevalent. Probably due to their realtive cheapness on the shelf.
I've fallen back in love with leeks and asparagus, so I try to throw those in when I can. Tomorrow I may throw a few random leftovers together for a big pot of stew. Don't know how that will work out, so we'll see. I might post what I threw in.

Food talk has made me hungry, and I've no idea what we're gonna do. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment